09-10-2026
©2026 BTMT-TJ
There comes a point when protecting yourself can become so familiar that you stop recognizing it as fear. You call it peace. You call it independence. You call it having standards, protecting your energy, knowing your worth, or finally choosing yourself. Sometimes that is exactly what it is. Sometimes, though, those beautiful words are covering something much harder to admit: you have built a life where nobody can hurt you because nobody is allowed close enough to matter.
Healing is a powerful word because it suggests movement. Something wounded is becoming stronger. Something that once hurt every time it was touched is becoming capable of being touched without falling apart. Healing is not supposed to make you untouchable. It is supposed to help you participate in life again without requiring a guarantee that you will never be hurt.
You can spend years working on yourself and still be standing in the same emotional place. You can go to therapy, read every book, understand attachment styles, journal every morning, establish boundaries, and become exceptionally good at explaining yourself. From the outside, it can look like extraordinary growth. Inside, however, you may still be organizing your life around one quiet objective: never give another person enough access to hurt you again.
That is where healing and avoidance become difficult to separate, because they can wear the same clothes. Both can look like taking time alone, becoming more selective, protecting your time, and refusing to chase people who cannot meet you where you are. The difference is found in where those choices are taking you. Is the work you are doing making you more capable of closeness, or is it making you more skilled at justifying distance?
There are reasons you learned to protect yourself. You may have learned that depending on people meant eventually being disappointed. You may have loved someone who made vulnerability feel dangerous. You may have discovered that the moment you showed someone where you were tender was the moment they knew exactly where to hurt you. Eventually, independence can stop feeling like a preference and start feeling like survival.
You learn how to carry everything yourself. You stop expecting anyone to show up because expecting nothing means nobody can disappoint you. You become proud of how little you need. You become the person who handles things, fixes things, survives things, and quietly puts yourself back together when something falls apart. There is strength in that, but there can also be loneliness hiding inside it.
The survival strategy that once protected you does not automatically know when its job is finished. It keeps scanning for danger and interpreting uncertainty as threat. Eventually, you can become so good at protecting yourself that protection begins making decisions you believe you are making freely.
Avoidance rarely introduces itself as avoidance. It sounds much more reasonable than that. You tell yourself you need more time to focus on yourself. Months become years, and somehow there is always another part of yourself that needs attention before you are ready to let anyone close. Someone shows genuine interest, and you start searching for the flaw. Someone wants consistency, and suddenly you feel crowded. Someone disappoints you once, and instead of having a difficult conversation, you decide the disappointment revealed everything you needed to know.
Leaving first can feel powerful when you have spent enough of your life afraid of being left. You may even call it self respect. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is fear with excellent vocabulary.
That was one of the hardest things I had to admit about myself.
After a relationship ended, I spent almost two years telling people that I was taking time to work on myself. Much of that was true. I went to therapy. I read. I reflected. I became better at naming emotions instead of swallowing them. I started recognizing patterns that had followed me through relationships without ever being questioned.
There was growth in those years, but there was also hiding. I had become exceptionally good at explaining why I did not need anyone. I could talk intelligently about boundaries, timing, emotional availability, independence, and protecting my peace. I could make distance sound thoughtful and mature.
What I could not do nearly as well was let someone matter.
I discovered the difference during an ordinary moment that should not have mattered very much. Someone I genuinely liked wanted to make plans a couple of weeks ahead. There was nothing threatening about the invitation. Nobody was demanding commitment. There were no obvious warning signs and no reason to distrust what was happening.
Still, I felt panic. Not the kind that announces itself dramatically, but the quieter urge to create distance. Suddenly I wanted to be busy. I wanted more time. I wanted to slow things down. I wanted to disappear just enough to regain control.
I had plenty of healthy sounding explanations available. I could call it a boundary. I could say I was listening to my intuition. I could tell myself that something simply did not feel right. For once, I stopped explaining the feeling long enough to actually feel it.
I was scared.
Nobody had violated my boundaries. Someone simply wanted to exist in my future, even if that future was only two weeks away, and some old part of me interpreted that as danger. I began to see how easily fear could borrow the language of wisdom and how quickly discomfort could be mistaken for evidence that something was wrong.
This does not mean ignoring your instincts, staying in unhealthy relationships, or abandoning standards you worked hard to develop. It means learning that discomfort and danger are not always the same thing. Sometimes growth asks you to stay present when your old instinct is to disappear. It asks you to have the conversation instead of writing the ending privately in your head. It asks you to tolerate uncertainty without controlling the outcome by leaving before anything can happen.
Avoidance works because it reduces risk. If nobody gets close, nobody can reject you from close range. If you never depend on anyone, nobody can disappoint you when you need them. If you leave before someone has the opportunity to leave you, you never have to experience the helplessness of watching them choose a life without you.
Protection can become incredibly effective. The problem is that the same walls that keep pain outside eventually keep connection outside too.
There is no version of genuine intimacy where you remain completely protected. Loving someone means allowing another human being to matter enough that their choices can affect you. Trust means accepting that you cannot control what someone will eventually do with the access you give them. Vulnerability means allowing yourself to be seen without knowing exactly how what is seen will be received.
The goal is not to eliminate that risk. It is to trust yourself within it. If another person disappoints you, betrays you, leaves you, or simply turns out not to be your person, you may grieve and hurt deeply. The difference is knowing that you will not abandon yourself because someone else did.
Some parts of that growth cannot happen alone. Solitude can teach you who you are when nobody else is influencing the room. Relationships reveal whether you can remain that person when somebody else matters. You can study boundaries, communication, vulnerability, and trust, but eventually those things have to exist in the presence of another human being.
Taking space can still be healthy. Sometimes you need silence long enough to hear your own voice again. Sometimes you need distance because you have spent too much time disappearing inside another person's expectations. There is no deadline attached to that work. The question is what the space is building.
Are your boundaries protecting your well-being while leaving room for connection, or have they become walls nobody could realistically cross? Are your standards helping you recognize healthy love, or have they become requirements so impossible that nobody will ever qualify? Are you learning how to trust yourself around other people, or only learning how peaceful life feels when nobody is allowed close enough to challenge you?
Those questions are not accusations. They are invitations to look at yourself without judgment and without the polished explanations we sometimes create to make our choices easier to live with.
If some of what you have called healing has actually been avoidance, there is no need to punish yourself for it. You were protecting something that had already been hurt. That version of you carried you through something difficult, and you can appreciate what it did without giving it permanent control of your future.
You can understand why the walls were built and still decide you no longer want to live behind them.
Strength is not becoming impossible to hurt. It is remaining open without becoming naive. It is recognizing warning signs without treating every uncertainty as danger. It is having boundaries without turning them into barricades. It is allowing someone to matter without handing them responsibility for your identity or your worth.
It is knowing you can love deeply and still belong to yourself.
You do not owe anyone access to you. You do not owe anyone vulnerability before you are ready, and you do not owe anyone progress according to their schedule. You owe yourself the truth about whether the life you have built is genuinely peaceful or simply impossible for anyone else to enter.
One day, the work you have done may ask something different from you. It may ask you to unlock a door you once needed to close. You may stand there with your hand on the handle while every old instinct reminds you what happened the last time you trusted someone. Opening it means accepting that someone could walk in and eventually walk away.
When you are ready, open it anyway.
Not because everyone deserves access to you. Not because love guarantees a happy ending. Not because you have finally become fearless.
Open it because fear has already taken enough from you.
You did not survive everything behind you just to spend the rest of your life making sure nothing can ever reach you again. You survived so that what happened to you would not get to decide everything that happens next.
The point was never to become untouchable. It was to become strong enough to be touched by life again, to love without disappearing, to risk without abandoning yourself, and to know that even if another chapter ends differently than you hoped, you will not end with it.
Your past may explain why you built the walls.
It does not get to decide how long you live behind them.

No comments:
Post a Comment