Friday, March 25, 2011

Chapters 10-13 of Jones & Butman 2

In chapter 12 we read about Gestalt therapy. Again, I can hardly find any areas of disagreement, but once again I am struck by a revelation while reading. The pursuit of autonomy or wholeness rules all (Jones, 1991, p. 315). This sentence brings to mind a very interesting thought (at least to me an interesting thought). The decline in numbers of those attending the local church, have on cursory glance decreased with the advent and advancement of Gestalt therapy. Why does that fascinate me? On a personal level within the congregation I serve, and being in contact with many other large congregations, I have noticed a real shift in how people think with regard to autonomy. They seem to have taken John Leeland’s idea of soul competency to the extreme via autonomy, and consequently have seemingly decided to pursue their “religion” outside of the local church. I can’t, as of this writing, be more detailed, but I will be continuing this thought through future writings.

No comments: