Friday, January 18, 2013

Question from Brooke



Are there any characteristics or components of your cultural identity that you purposely want to change?
Brooke,
 Your question is very interesting. The easy answer is that I would love to have more ability, be more attractive, speak multiple languages, and reach the top of the socioeconomic totem pole. Seriously, wouldn't everyone wish the same things? However, also seriously, I am very content with my cultural identity. I know what people think when I say something like this, "yeah, I would be content if I was a white male born in the U.S.A. because they have it made." I like the old adage of walking a mile in someone's shoes because of the truth we could learn by doing so. Do I have it easy because of who I am "culturally speaking"? The answer might shock some, but I really don't have it that easy. A great example is how when something is, or is perceived as, a cultural injustice we, as a culture, tend to over react to the point of absurdity. Follow me here, does there need to be equal opportunity to pursuing a college education, or should those who have marginalized in the past get special treatment (advantages) at the expense of others (read: like me)? The answer to this question forms the basis of why even those like me might want to change things about our cultural identity. Sometimes I wish I had more information about my Native American heritage (my maternal great grandmother was 100%) so I could get an easier ride through college. However, I purposely did not pursue this information, and this decision has certainly influenced my cultural identity. I guess you might say I wanted to use ethnicity to gain an advantage over others like me. I have since repented of this sin. However, even being aware of my situation has made more observant of the disproportionate influence that ethnic minorities can have within our dominant culture. Am I cool with my cultural identity? Yep. Would I change anything? Yep...

No comments: