Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wars And Rumors of Wars


Wars and Rumors of Wars

102908

Here is something I have heard often:

99% of church splits are not over theology, but over personality.

There was a time in my life when I actually believed this and it gave me some comfort.
Now I think it is just something people say to feel better about themselves and deflect fault and reality.

It is as if personality is some kind of blank check for acting like an idiot. Too often, personality is an excuse for not changing. "Hey, this is just the way I am." It's as if personality is not a spiritual or weighty issue.

It is imperative that we understand that we can't just wiggle off the hook that easily, as if we didn’t have the ability to change the situation since it was a personality issue.

I don't see Jesus giving us any wiggle room for disunity based upon personality differences. Study the apostle's personality profiles and you will figure out that we can't just play the personality card and allow our guilty consciences to be soothed.
Jesus picked, I think intentionally, a politically diverse group in order to prove that unity is based upon something other than sameness (uniformity).

Just another thought.



Peior est bello timor ipse belli

“Worse is the fear of war than the war itself.”

No comments: