Tuesday, December 14, 2010

All men dream

T. E. Lawrence once said, “All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to the day to find it was all vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for the many act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible...”

I believe that dreams (during sleep) can be described as the brain’s time to run free. When our bodies tire, we find a comfortable position, and become indifferent in the things going on around us that beg for our attention we are able to sleep. I believe that our dreams are comprised of, “all past experiences which are not available to waking consciousness, or for recollection. (Walsh, p. 25)” This leads to what happens when we do fall asleep, “As we go to sleep the door to the mind is, so to speak, gradually opened, and the dream is more (Walsh, p. 25).”

From a Biblical perspective, God revealed Himself to the prophets through dreams and visions to communicate His truth. However, I do not believe God speaks to us today through dreams, certainly not as He did in the Old Testament. I do think that God uses other avenues (people, trial or difficulties, circumstances, etc.) to teach us and call things to our attention that we need to deal with or learn from. When I walk 18 holes of golf, and I am huffing and puffing, I can understand that I am out of shape and need to exercise more. I believe God uses circumstances to teach us. Therefore, dreams may be important if there is a consistent theme. Emotionally and spiritually this could be pointing to a spiritual problem that needs to be worked out such as a broken relationship.

I have very little recall of what I dream. I do dream, but I really could not say how much because memories of my dreams never last long upon waking. The dreams that are the most vivid for me usually have to deal with negative issues within relationships.

No comments: