Tuesday, August 23, 2011

carl rogers - dangerous ideas continued

Rogers basic belief was that people are intrinsically good and rational. The Bible tells us something completely different. The Bible tells us, that because of the fall, we are all just the opposite of intrinsically good (Rom 3:22). We are all sinners in need of redemption. I do like Rogers idea of self-actualization. I actually employ a similar idea when counseling people within the church. However, there is one huge difference in that incongruence can only come about as a result of a right relation with God. I will utilize a pseudo-person-centered approach in most cases. My hybrid version works well for me because of the relational aspect involved. I try to impart to people that they are created in the image of God, which is not at all Rogerian because his ideas are very much existential in nature. I do like to engage the emotions of those while in the counseling setting, but those feelings never, I repeat never, take precedence over facts. So many Christian leaders have all but adopted Rogerian ideas without hesitation even though his ideas deny absolutes.

The common ground in this type of therapy is the use of empathy, compassion, openness, and genuineness. These tools are very compatible to my Christian style of counseling.

How would you reconcile using Rogers type of therapy with 2 Corinthians 6:14?

“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”

No comments: